|Supplementary Provisions for the Cultivation of International/Regional Undergraduate Students|
On the basis of the Administrative Measures to Enroll and Cultivate International Students of the University formulated by Ministry of Education, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Public Security, and Provisions on Enrollment and Cultivation of Students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan by Regular Institutions of Higher Education issued by six divisions such as the Ministry of Education , Supplementary Provisions were formulated, in combination with the actual situation of Tongji, for the cultivation of undergraduate international, overseas Chinese, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students enrolled in the University, as listed below :
I. For international students
1. Students should study according to the training programs for their majors.
2. "Professional Chinese" and "Survey of China" are compulsory courses. "English", "Ideological and Moral Cultivation and Fundamentals of Law", "Outline of Modern Chinese History", "Situation and Policy", "Military Theory", and "Military Training" can be exempted.
3. Students except philosophy majors can also be exempt from taking courses of "An Introduction to Mao Zedong Thought and the Theoretical System of Socialism with Chinese Characteristics" and "Basic Principles of Marxism."
4. Students enrolled in majors with Chinese as the instruction language must write and defend their thesis in Chinese; otherwise, students can choose Chinese, English, French, or German.
5. After one year of enrollment, if the credits from courses that students fail to pass the re-sit reach 25 or more, they will be required to quit.
II. For overseas Chinese, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan students
1. "Ideological and Moral Cultivation and Fundamentals of Law", "Military Theory" and "Military Training" can be exempted.
2. Students except philosophy majors can also be exempted from courses of "An Introduction to Mao Zedong Thought and the Theoretical System of Socialism with Chinese Characteristics" and "Basic Principles of Marxism".
III. These Supplementary Provisions shall be interpreted by the Academic Affairs Office, the International Students Office, and the Office for Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan Affairs.
IV. These Supplementary Provisions shall go into effect September 1, 2017. Supplementary Provisions on Administration of Student Status for International/regional Students shall then be superseded.