|Administrative Measures for Use of Textbooks at Tongji University|
Article I In order to further implement the education guidelines and policies of the Party and the Country, carry out the State power of managing teaching materials, to strengthen the administration of teaching materials including textbooks for undergraduate and postgraduate courses, and to ensure their quality, the Administrative Measures are formulated in accordance with Constitution of Tongji University and the common practices.
Article II Teaching materials including textbooks refer to the officially published books that reflect the content of the courses. Teaching materials refer to all the reference materials that are formally or informally published, including textbooks, reference books, and electronic reference materials.
Article III The use of teaching materials including textbooks must comply with the basic requirements as follows:
1. They contain positive and correct ideas, excluding mistakes in political position or policy;
2. They meet the requirements of professional training programs and syllabi, suit the status quo of the development of science, technology, and culture, and meet the requirements of teaching reforms;
3. In principle, textbooks are used in every course. Newly edited textbooks used for the next semester must be published before the 17th week of the current semester;
4. Key textbooks must be used for courses corresponding to the Key Textbooks for Marxist Theoretical Research and Construction (see documents from the Ministry of Education) ; other courses must give priority to high-quality textbooks published in the past three years, especially the national, provincial, and ministerial planned excellent textbooks, excellent philosophical and social science textbooks that promote socialist core values, textbook series for 21st century, recommended textbooks by the Steering Committee for Teaching, and textbooks subsidized by university funds for publishing books;
5. The introduced textbooks must be original or authorized domestic-version textbooks. Please note that no unit or individual is allowed to copy or use foreign textbooks or other teaching materials without the authorization from the obligee;
6. In principle, informally published materials such as electronic courseware are not allowed to be used as textbooks.
Article IV The use of teaching materials including textbooks must go through the procedures of review, approval, filing, and publication.
1. During the curriculum planning in each semester, the chief course teacher should propose. The teaching materials including textbooks to be used. After the approval of the specialty leader (curriculum leader), colleges/schools (departments) will organize experts to conduct a preliminary review and the Textbook Management Committee (or the Academic Affairs Office) of School/College for the second review, to form the recommendation to finally be submitted to the University Textbook Management Committee for approval;
2. Colleges/schools (departments) should strengthen the review of teaching materials including textbooks in the disciplines of philosophy & social science, especially the ideology in them;
3. The relevant information of the approved teaching materials including textbooks by the University Textbook Management Committee will be recorded into the University Academic Affairs Information System for undergraduates or postgraduates;
4. After inputting the relevant information of teaching materials, a list of registered textbooks. and other teaching materials generated by the information system will be printed. The list will then be reviewed and signed by the director of the Textbook Management Committee (or the Academic Affairs Office) of School/College with the college/schoolâ€™s official seal, and then submitted to the Textbook Management Office for the record;
5. If the informally published materials such as electronic courseware are really needed, the chief course teacher must obtain the approval of the University Textbook Management Committee, and then submit the result to the College/School Curriculum Center for the record; the related college/school must secure related intellectual property protection;
6. The information of teaching materials including textbooks, along with the course selection of undergraduates and postgraduates, will be published to the students every semester by the Textbook Management Office.
Article V The University Textbook Management Committee will inspect the use of teaching materials including textbooks in each college/school (department) according to the filing record of teaching materials in the Textbook Management Office. The university will diligently pursue the responsibility of relevant personnel in the case of the use of unauthorized teaching materials including textbooks, or in cases where the actual use of teaching materials including textbooks is inconsistent with the recorded information in the Textbook Management Office.
Article VI Supplementary Provisions
The Administrative Measures shall be interpreted by University Textbook Management Committee. It shall go into effect since the date of promulgation. Provisions on Selection of Undergraduate Teaching Materials of Tongji Universityï¼ˆ No. 17) shall be superseded at the same time.